Richard's Castle (Herefordshire/Shropshire, England)
Updated: Sep 18, 2018
The village of Richard's Castle straddles the county lines of Herefordshire and Shropshire, hence the title!
One of the few castles in England that pre-dates the Norman Conquest, Richard's Castle was built c. 1050 by Norman and friend of Edward the Confessor, Richard FitzScrob. A motte and bailey castle, some time after 1067 the castle passed to his son, Osbern Fitz Richard, who married Nesta, the daughter of King Gruffydd ap Llywelyn of Wales.
The castle passed down several generations until it came into the hands of the Talbot family. By the 16th century the castle was recorded as still standing, but in a ruinous state.
The castle is located behind (to the west) of St. Bartholomew's Church, up Castle Lane. To visit you have to walk through the church yard and through the graveyard, where there's a gateway into the castle grounds. It's free to access, and has some goats chilling out who are very friendly!
Also of note, St. Bartholomew's Church is also uncommon; it has a detached bell tower that was built in the 14th Century. This tower has very small windows and was designed as a secure defensive building, not common in churches!
Pictures taken June 2018