Montgomery Castle (Powys, Wales)
Updated: Jan 15, 2019
The 'original' Montgomery Castle was built at what is now known as Hen Domen, and it was a motte and bailey built on the orders of Roger de Montgomery sometime between 1071 and 1074 .
The castle was rebuilt in stonein 1223, a mile to the south-east of the original site. This new castle consisted of the gatehouse, two D-shaped towers and the apartments which crowded around the curtain wall of the inner ward.
After an unsuccessful attack by Prince Llywelyn ab Iorwerth in 1228, the middle and outer wards were added to the castle. The castle was again attacked in 1233, which resulted in damage to the well tower, which had to be subsequently repaired and re-roofed.
The walled town of Montgomery was attacked by the Welsh forces of Owain Glyndŵr in 1402 and sacked and burned. However, the stone castle fortress held out against the attack. Though the garrison was not large, the design and the men inside did their job. The town walls were not rebuilt, and the town remained a ruin for two whole centuries.
The site is now managed by CADW and has free entry to visitors.
Photos taken May 2018